Wednesday, November 9, 2011

How many pair of shoes should one own?

I’ve spent $4,000 on shoes and I have no place to live? I will be literally the old woman who lived in her shoes.” – Carrie Bradshaw (Sex and the City)
Women can be known for their shoe fetishes. Carrie Bradshaw may be a fictional character but she speaks the truth about some women’s obsession with fashion. As a man, I can imagine myself having a collection of shoes larger than my closet. My love for shoes tells that I’m a woman trapped in a man’s body. Her love of shoes got Carrie into trouble when she needed money to move to a new apartment after her break-up with Aidan. Not wanting to be in the same position as her, I dare to ask myself a question (a question as hard as answering my Dad’s persistent question of when I would be getting married): How many pair of shoes is ideal?
Shopping for shoes is an art that needs to be learned and a science that needs experimentation. It requires the same thought processes you would use for your algebra subject in school. Do your clothes (x) go well with your shoes (y), if true then, you (u) = fabulous.
I hope the following will be helpful to you when shopping for the right pair of shoes and knowing how many pair of shoes are enough.
Lifestyle. Your lifestyle basically dictates everything. To the hell with having hundreds pair of shoes, even if you can afford them. Buy only those that you will use. You should not end up with shoes in your closet collecting spider webs.
Your Overall Sense of Style. Your sense of style speaks to the kind of shoes you should be wearing. If a rugged look (which seems to be the trend now) is your thing then you can stick to sneakers and boots. What I love about this is the more worn-out the look, the cooler they get. Have variety of colors for different occasions. A white pair of sneakers for the day and darker shades for evening occasions. The idea is to have choices to pair with your clothing.
Converse and Adidas always come up with uber cool designs. I love Converse’s design-your-own concept as you can reflect your own personality and style.
My design of a Converse sneaker 

Go for the Classic Style. You’ll never go wrong with anything that has timeless appeal. Simple brown or black leather shoes never go out of style. You can match it with your work attire one day, and pair it with your denim jeans for a date, the next day.
Make the following staples in your shoe rack. They will keep things simple but keep you looking chic, and stylish.


Marc Hare Black Patent Dress Loafers from Topman




Arthur Burgundy Leather Shoes from Topman


Dressy Ankle Boot from Zara


Oxford Shoe from Zara


Budget. Spend within your budget. If you’re unable to afford a particular shoe, you may find a cheaper alternative; that is what’s fun about shopping. However, don’t resort to imitation. Thankfully a lot of big brands in the fashion industry have created equivalent but lower cost brands to cater to bigger markets. Well-known designers have also collaborated with top retail stores like H&M, Target and Macys to give those budget-concious shoppers a taste of their label.
I’m eyeing to buy this beautiful pair of Dolce and Gabbana laced leather shoes below for my birthday next year. Keeping my fingers crossed!
                                       Dolce & Gabbana laced shoe for $695.00
A slightly more affordable version but equally chic:

                                               D&G laced shoe for $495.00
Brand. Signature shoes are a worthwhile investment, since they will be with you on your journey for years. On the other hand, there affordable alternatives with uncompromised quality. Imagine the savings if you had the patience to shop and took the time to look for affordable alternatives.

     Burberry shoes for $475.00

Similar style from Aldo for $ 80.00

The Right Shoe. Choose the right style of shoe for you. They should complement your body. Some shoes can make you taller; wear shoes with a color that work with your pants to give the illusion that you’re taller. For example, dark jeans with dark shoes. Boots are not usually recommendable for the shorter guys.
Geography. Location determines the type of footwear you will need on your shoe rack. Flip flops are a staple footwear in my home country, the Philippines. It is perfect for tropical weather as they are comfortable and practical. Now that I am in Saudi Arabia, flip flops would be nice but I keep 2 pairs of leather sandals for simple nights out (e.g coffee, dinner with friends) and sometimes for shopping.
Keep Building your Collection. I used to keep only 3 pairs of shoes ( brown and black leather shoes for my corporate look and a single pair of rubber shoes for work out on weekends). Now my wardrobe, has expanded. As fashion trends emerge with each new season, the style of shoes should also be considered as we embrace new looks. I tried adding loafers for lazy days when I don’t have enough time to catch a bus for work; I injected bold colors like a pair of forest green suede loafers and cherry patterned plimsols for summer season.
Until next time! Beso!


You can also find me on www.gayasianmale.net



Beso!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment! Thank you guys!